When I tell a group of ladies (and sometimes the random gentleman) that I made money on a product during a couponing class, I usually get this sideways looks of “are you serious?” The biggest disconnect is thinking couponing is only cutting out a coupon from the newspaper. The truth is there are layers to purchasing a product. This includes the use of rebate apps.
All rebate apps are slightly different, but the idea is you will purchase an item from the list given, usually use your phone to scan the barcode of that item, and then submit a picture of that receipt. Then usually within 24 hours you will get that money back. Once you build up a certain amount of money then you can get paid through gift cards or paypal.
SavingStar is a rebate app that I have recently come to LOVE! When I first started using rebate apps my old phone would not scan the products, so I had to enter the bar codes in manually. Since SavingStar didn’t offer that option I didn’t get much use. With my new phone, I’m enjoying the savings I’m earning now.
First, be sure you select the store you shop at. Kroger, Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club, and even dollar stores like Dollar General and Family Dollar are options! Even better, some stores like CVS or Rite Aid will allow you to connect your store rewards card meaning you don’t even have to submit a receipt and your purchase will automatically add the money when you meet the product qualifications!
Next, you will need to select offers. Simply click on the orange circle with the plus sign to add. The biggest mistake I’ve made is not selecting the offers before I purchase the product and then being denied the rebate. Whenever I get a notification that new offers are available I jump on my app and add all available offers. There is no limit on how many you can activate but if you wait too long, some offers reach their maximum activations and you will miss out.
Once the items are on your “List” you can purchase the items as indicated and start collecting the savings!
Besides getting a specified amount of money back on a product, SavingStar regularly has a “Healthy Offer” for a % back on a produce item, like the Tomatoes seen in the picture to the right.
There will also be opportunities for a freebie offer! Just purchase the item offered, submit your receipt and get your money back in full!
You can also earn a larger amount of money back on a product that you purchase regularly. For example the Ore-Ida Frozen Potato products seen below: You do not have to spend the full $25 in one transaction to get the $5 back. You can submit receipts over a period of time and work up to the $25.
Click on the items you wish to purchase and read the offer details. Be sure you purchase the required product in correct size and quantity.
- Click on the receipt sign on the right hand side of the upper blue strip.
- Select the store in which you purchased the product.
- Scan the bar codes of the products and the items will automatically be marked.
- For healthy items click “Produce without a UPC?” below the scanner. Type in the title of the item and click “Submit”.
- Click “Continue” in the lower right hand corner.
- Double check all of the items you are claiming appear on the summary and when complete click “Take a Photo” on the bottom of the screen.
- Line up your receipt and take a picture of the receipt. Be sure you capture the entire receipt including the name of the store and the date the products are purchased.
- If the picture is clear click “Looks Good”. If you can’t read the receipt click “Re-Take” and try again.
- Continue to take pictures of the receipt until the entire receipt is captured. Once you have it all, click “Done”.
- Finally a message will appear- “Did you capture the entire receipt?” Click “Yes, submit” and your request for a rebate will upload.
Most savings will take several days (up to 22 days) before they post into your account. Check your email for notification that it has been processed.
To Cash Out:
You must have a minimum of $5.00 in your account before you can request payment.
- Click “ACCOUNT” on the upper right hand side of your app and something similar to the picture above will appear.
- Click “Cash Out”
- Then select how you would like to receive the money- ex: Bank Account deposit, PayPal, or a number of different gift card options.
- Complete the directions for whichever choice your picked and click “Continue.”