So, I started couponing in January of this year. I’ve been going about 7 months and it has totally changed our budget!
I save, on average, 60% on groceries. Where I was spending $100-$120 a week on groceries, I’m now spending, on average, $40 a week. And my cart is just as full if not more so plus I’m buying name brand. (I was totally a generic or whatever is cheapest kind of girl!)
So, as I post pictures on Facebook and my friends ooh and aww over my amazing hauls, I always get the question “How did you do that???”
Well, couponing of course!!!
So the main idea with making couponing work for you is to pair coupons with sales. When the sale comes to your store you need to grab a coupon and make that savings larger or even FREE!
But where do we get those coupons???? Here are a few options.
Print coupons are an option (coupons.com) and I print coupons quite often. However, you are limited to the number of prints per device. Furthermore, print coupons are limited nation wide. So, if there is a HOT coupon and you don’t print it right away, it will be gone quickly. (By the way, print coupons tend to be the most scrutinized by cashiers.)
The BEST place to get coupons is the Sunday paper! It comes every week and you are not limited to just one paper, purchase MULTIPLE papers! A good rule of thumb is to purchase one paper for every member of your family. I am a family of 4 (my husband, 2 kids, & myself) so I purchase 4 papers. 4 papers, means 4 of every coupon, meaning when that sale hits, I can purchase at least 4 of that item and STOCK-UP!
So the picture above is a great example of what having multiple papers can offer you. Here is how it works:
When Kroger has a Mega Sale the deal is $5 off of 5 participating items. so…
- The Weber seasonings retails for $3.79
- Kroger has them on sale for $1.79 ($2.00 savings)
- Buy 5 participating items (doesn’t have to be the same item) and get $1.00 off per item. That brings us to $.79 per seasoning
- Add the Manufacturers coupon for $1 off one item and BOOM = MONEYMAKER of $.21 per seasoning!
Having multiple papers meant I could do the deal several times. (Remember, you can only use one manufactures coupon per item so you have to have multiple coupons for multiple items.) Also, when you find great deals you need to stock up on them so you won’t be back the next week purchasing the item for full price!
So, you want to coupon….but you don’t want to buy a newspaper? Yet alone multiple newspapers? Well, then you don’t really want to coupon.
Trust me, once you start couponing, you’ll quickly make up the cost of multiple papers. Spending $2 per paper each week will be nothing compared to the amount you’re going to save.
A world of savings will be open to you!
Be sure to check out my video on how to organize your coupons in the article “Organizing Your Coupons: Do I have to Cut Every Coupon??? No!”
- Don’t purchase on Holiday weekends- no inserts!
- Buy a subscription & multiple subscriptions if you can. This will guarantee you get the paper and not forget. If you live in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area contact me to take my couponing class and get a deal on your newspaper subscription!
- You don’t need to clip all the coupons & keep a binder to be a good couponer! Just follow websites and organize your inserts! See video for more info.